Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 3 - June 1st

It's not often I look forward to a 6:45am alarm. Today was different; it was the first day of camp!

Camp workers were asked to report to the LSU practice facility at 8am. I was really impressed with how organized everything was upon arriving. We had a brief coaches meeting and "pre-camp skillwork" began at 8:30am. Although camp wasn't scheduled to start until 9am, camp staff is asked to put the players that arrive early through drills. I loved this concept as it was a new look from previous camps I have worked. Games and contests are what most campers will go home and talk about but the players that improve the most will be the individuals that pay attention and work the hardest during skillwork.

All campers stretched together on the main floor before being divided back into appropriate age groups. Along with five other coaches, I was placed with 10-12 year olds. I was really excited when I received this assignment because at this age, most of the kids have some basketball experience but are wanting to learn more. The most embarrassing part of the day came when I took it upon myself to divide the kids into even teams. I counted 55 kids - 6 teams of  9 with one team having 10 players. After placing the kids in order of height, I went through and gave them a number 1-9. As soon as there were 9 teams of 6 rather than 6 teams of 9 all I could do was laugh. I don't know how to write this humbly but I got a 760 on my math SAT and have always loved math. I was embarrassed like no other. Of course the kids had no idea what was going on but the other 5 coaches probably thought I was a clown. The good news is I could only improve from there!

A bit later, the campers were then divided into 4 groups (I had to redeem myself) for skill development stations. I would be responsible for passing. The kids weren't initially enthusiastic about this station but I briefly discussed how at North Florida we spend time working on ball handling and what we call "one minute passing". Although we don't spend a huge amount of time on these fundamentals, they are practiced by college players at the highest levels. I don't always realize every fundamental coach builds into our practices. However, when I take some of what I learn and apply it to others, it all comes together. Some of the players were making "rainbow" passes so I taught all 55 kids what "pepper" is (Thanks Coach D!) or what some kids called putting some muscle on the pass. For the student managers reading this, make sure you get enough pepper on every pass during practice and workouts with your guys, it's more game-like!

Our first 5-on-5 games were played in the afternoon. The games were 20 minutes running clock and my team lost 30-10. It was difficult for the kids to take any of the coaching because they were so concerned with the score. A tip for all managers working camps: if you care more than just a little about the score of your games, you are doing something wrong. Focus on teaching; the kids will do all the worrying needed with the score. We had a small break before the 2nd game began and we conducted a quick team practice. In game 2, I could call for a ball screen and there was decent spacing on offense. When I played high school basketball, I averaged about 2.5 points a game (yes, there is a decimal there) and my game was predicated on energy and effort. I couldn't have been more proud when one of my players dove on the floor for a loose ball, granted I think I lost my voice encouraging him to do so; it was worth it! The other highlight of the day came shortly after. We have a team rule at North Florida that whenever a player is on the floor, his four teammates sprint over and help him up. One of my players got fouled on a drive and ended up on the floor. I was elated when the other players listened to the instructions and hustled over to assist their teammate to his feet.

Camp ended at 3 p.m. and I am confident my nine players could tell you everything you need to know about me. Offense is "fun" and I want to see movement and ball screening but at the end of the day I really don't concern myself over how many points we score. I'm all about defense and effort!!! If you defend and are willing to put your body on the line for your teammates (at higher levels of basketball), there will be a place for you to play. That was the only reason why I got minutes at the high school level. I loved my high school teammates (and still do) and I cared more about the name on the front of my jersey more than anything else. Speaking of that... I don't believe a name should be on the back of any jersey. Just worry about the name on the front and everything will take care of itself.

After camp, I had to check out Mike the Tiger. I was a bit disappointed he was asleep but his habitat is pretty cool! I've been impressed with what I've seen with the LSU campus so far. I went to eat at Walk-On's with my roommate Daniel, student manager at LSU-Alexandria. The service was top notch and our waitress Arianna was great. Daniel begged me to split an order of blackened alligator with him as a starter. Although I turned it down several times, he placed the order and demanded that I try a piece. I denied his request once again but I really had no choice when Arianna opened my napkin and removed the fork. I was told my main course woudn't be coming until I tried alligator. They had me, it was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. Brah...Olive Garden for real - I love the salad and break sticks as well but Cracker Barrel and quick @DunkinDonuts would have worked...FYI I would fill up soon get below 1/4 tank - get little risky when you are more tired after weeks of camp!!!...keep pressing on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zach my name is Hayden Hatfield, I am a fellow student manager at a Dll school called Queens Univ. of Charlotte. I love reading your post and it is very motivating how much work you're getting in. I hope to talk to you some to share our experiences and learn from one another. Shoot me an email at Hhatfield0125@gmail.com if you want to talk and get to know each other

    ReplyDelete