Sunday, May 31, 2015

Introduction

My name is Zack Freesman and I am a student manager at the University of North Florida. The division one school is located in Jacksonville, Florida and is a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. As a small part of the 2014-15 A-Sun Champions, I hope to provide some insight into what a summer is like for an aspiring coach like myself traveling the country working camps.

Last summer, I worked basketball camps at the University of Florida, University of Central Florida, and Florida State University. I was shocked at the end of my summer just how much I had learned in addition to the friends I made, The experiences I had giving back to the youth while working alongside college coaches that I look up to was unreal.

For the last several months, I had envisioned a summer "camp tour" that would take me well outside both my comfort zone and the state of Florida. I created a database with many division one universities in the United States and found the dates of every camp. Each school varies based on what camps they offer and when they take place. It was challenging to put together a schedule that made sense both with the dates offered as well as geographically.

For the next 35 days, I will be working the following camps:

LSU Individual Camp: 6/1-6/4
LSU Team Camp: 6/5-6/6
Memphis Individual Camp: 6/8-6/11
Kentucky Father/Son Camp: 6/12-6/13
Kentucky Overnight Camp: 6/14-6/17
Tennessee Tech Team Camp: 6/17-6/19
NC State Overnight Camp: 6/21-6/24
Maryland Overnight Camp: 6/25-6/28
VCU Individual Camp: 6/29-7/3

As you can see, it is going to be a busy but exciting camp tour. Fasten your seat belts and please enjoy the ride with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment